Friday, January 30, 2015

Marin Adventure: The Best Fishing Spots in Marin

Alpine Lake
I never imagined that I would be able to say that I enjoyed fishing, but my husband loaded up our fishing gear and took me on an eye-opening journey. We drove up to Alpine Lake, hiked over, around, up, and down to his special spot. He got me all set up and said “you have to be quiet”. What, me? But I decided to give it a try. I cast my line, did all the things he said I had to do, and waited. That’s when it happened. I started to notice how blue the sky was, how many different beautiful birds there were and the sound they made when they flew just a few inches from the water. I wanted to shout to my husband, “Oh my god! Look at all of this beauty”! But when I looked over at him, he gave me a smile and put his finger to his lips, letting me know that I still had to be quiet. Then it happened. The sound of my rod, the zing, and my husband yelling “FISH ON”! I was excited and scared all at the same time, and we reeled that bass in together. What an amazing experience and day, and also for the bass because he lived to see another one!

As the time has come for the restocking of fish in our reservoirs, I wanted to share some of Marin County’s best places to have your very own amazing fishing adventure.

Those who like to fish can find many locations in Marin County for fresh and saltwater fishing. Some of the popular places include the following:

Fresh Water Fishing

Bon Tempe Lake, Alpine Lake, Lake Lagunitas, Kent Lake, Phoenix Lake, Stafford Lake, Nicasio Reservoir and Marin County’s hidden gem, Soulajule Reservoir.

Saltwater Fishing

Paradise Pier, Elephant Rock and Fort Baker.

Bon Tempe Lake
Parks are open from sunrise to sunset, and don’t forget to get your fishing license. Children under 16 don't need a license, and you can get your license online at: CA Department of Fish and Game.

Lagunitas, Alpine, Bon Tempe and Kent Lake all feed into each other. Bon Tempe is a 140 acre lake and is located at the base of Mt. Tamalpais, a quick three miles outside of Fairfax. Warm water swimmers such as bass, bluegill, catfish and rainbow trout can be caught 7 days a week. With easy parking and trailheads flat enough for little ones, this reservoir is ideal for a day trip. Swimming however, is prohibited.

Nicasio Reservoir
Nicasio Reservoir is a shallow, artificial reservoir in the Nicasio Valley region of Marin County.  It covers 845 acres and was created in 1961. The reservoir is used for recreational purposes; mainly fishing and hiking. Largemouth bass, carp and catfish are caught in this lake.

Stafford Lake is located in Novato, and it's 139 acre park has a lot going on. In the summer time they have music performances, picnics and events. Stafford Lake offers shore fishing of catfish, bluegill, and bass. After spending the day fishing with your family, use one of the many barbecue facilities. For the children, they have a popular children’s play structure, lawn areas, large meadows, and Volleyball and horseshoe courts. Swimming and dogs are prohibited at Stafford Lake.

Stafford Lake
A pretty drive through the foothills of north Marin County leads to the base of the dam at Soulajule Reservoir. A short walk on a ranch road leads over a sub-ridge, where a gorgeous lake is revealed all at once. This is one of prettiest hidden spots in the Bay Area, a beautiful hike-in reservoir nestled in a long canyon. The Soulajule Reservoir, located in West Marin, is open to the public seven days a week from sunrise to sunset. Fishing is allowed year round and is regulated by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. Neither boating or swimming is allowed, but pets are allowed on a leash.

With all the amazing and beautiful spots to fish in Marin County, can you wait until the weather is nicer to go out and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air?! I don't blame you if you cant. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
~ Kelly Cranmer Valadez



No comments:

Post a Comment